When anyone starts a new blog, he or she may think of promoting it in different ways. Most of the bloggers keep on trying to find ways to monetize their blog. Some of them may gain personal satisfaction by doing some bit of creative writing, not for monetary benefits.
A majority of the new bloggers think of the consequences of hacking only once they get trapped.
If you follow the steps given below, you can manage to get rid of the attack of hackers to a certain extent.
1. Delete your default username “admin”
One of the easiest way by which a hacker can approach your WordPress site is through the login screen and use the username as “admin”. So if you have not changed your default username “admin” while installing Word Press, it makes the way easier for hackers to login to your account by guessing just the password. If you are still using “admin” as your default username, you can change it by using the plug in Better WP Security. So make sure that you do it to protect your blog from hackers.
2. Use your passwords carefully and ensure that you use the two step authentication process
• Always choose a password that is a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters along with numbers and symbols.
• Try to avoid using the same password on multiple accounts. For example, if you have three different blogs of three different niches, try to use three different passwords for each of them.
• Always make it a point to avoid using a password that can be easily guessed. So remember not to use the name of your friend, house, pet etc.
• Do not use the name of your native place or numbers like the registration number of your car.
• Keep on changing your passwords regularly, at least once in three months.
• Do not let your browsers save your password.
• Be extra careful while using your passwords for logging into a public computer. Make sure that you unchecked all the options to save your password into the browser before you leave.
3. What if you have too many accounts or different blogs?
Are you worried of how to manage too many passwords in different websites or blogs? It is difficult for anyone to remember different passwords for different sites. The best way to solve this problem is to make use of a password generator and password manager.
• A password generator is an online tool that generates password randomly in accordance with an input you give. This will help you to create a strong password.
• A password manager will help you to manage all your online passwords so that the problem of memorising or storing a password becomes easier. As this acts as an online storage for all your passwords, the possibility of stealing it from your personal computer can be avoided.
• Most of the online Password Managers are mobile friendly so that you can download the corresponding apps on your mobile devices. If you feel that you are facing difficulties managing your passwords, you can try using free mobile friendly tools like the Norton Identity Safe’s Password Manager and Password Generator which I think is one of the good options available.
4. Updating of the software you are using
If the software you are using is not the latest version, the chances of getting hacked are more. If you are not updating your WordPress website with the latest updates and version, it becomes more accessible to hackers. So make sure that the blogging platforms you use are properly updated.
5. Monitor your blog for any unnecessary changes.
Try to install a plug-in that will make you aware of any unwanted changes in your files. Your web hosting provider may configure your server in such a way that it will inform you of any unnecessary changes in the files in your blog. Make sure you always have an eye on this so that you will not be in trouble later.
6. Scan the files before downloading
If you want to download an application like a theme from another website, make sure that the files are safe so that it may not harm your website or blog. In this case, it is always better to scan the file with your antivirus program installed in your computer. This may prevent your computer from the attacks of malicious files that will eventually harm your blog. So make sure that you have very good anti-virus software installed in your computer.
7. Ensure that you have back up for your files
Suppose you do not have a back up for your website, you will have more trouble if it gets hacked. Having a back up will help you to make your site live again after you find out that it is hacked. You can use the plugins available to have the back up.
8. Be aware of the latest developments in anti-hacking.
In order to keep pace with the rapid changes in technology, we need to update ourselves with the latest developments. So if you update your knowledge on the latest anti-hacking developments, it will make you well equipped to find solutions to the problems caused by hacking. It will be beneficial if you join some online webmasters community by joining some online webmasters community.
Author: Sam Scholfield, http://www.stuffedweb.com/how-to-prevent-your-website-from-being-hacked/ Accessed on 07/03/2014 at 16:45